You’ve probably heard the phrase, “You are what you eat.” If you’re anything like me, you immediately picture the last cookie you ate glued to your hips.
But did you know that eating doesn’t just impact your waistline? Making healthy food choices can actually help prevent hearing loss.
Here is a list of vitamins, minerals and nutrients, along with some of their food sources and how they benefit your hearing:
• Omega 3 fatty acids – Certain fish, such as tuna, trout, salmon and sardines contain high levels of omega 3 fats, which can strengthen the blood vessels in your ear’s sensory system.
• Antioxidants and Folic Acids – Leafy green vegetables, asparagus, broccoli and beans, as well as eggs, liver and nuts are rich in antioxidants. They ward off hearing loss by preventing free radicals from damaging the tissue of the inner ears.
• Vitamins C and E – By boosting your immune system, and reducing your risk of ear infections, citrus fruits, leafy greens and other foods full of vitamins C and E can help in the prevention of hearing loss.
• Magnesium – Nuts, especially almonds, cashews and peanuts, as well as yogurt, potatoes and bananas are great sources of magnesium, which studies show helps prevent noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL), the most common type of hearing loss.
• Zinc – Found in seafood, such as oysters, crab and lobster, as well as cheese and dark chocolate, zinc helps your inner ear resist damage that results in presbycusis, or age-related hearing loss.
Other steps you can take to protect your hearing include quitting smoking, limiting exposure to loud sounds, wearing ear plugs, and reducing your intake of ototoxic medications.
For more information on preventing hearing loss, or if you suspect your hearing is already impaired, call us at 941-745-1518 941-745-1518941 to schedule an appointment.
We've been providing high-quality hearing aids to Manatee and Sarasota County, Florida since 1977.